Georgia soccer loses to Alabama 3-1

Georgia women’s soccer failed to pick up its second straight Southeastern Conference victory Thursday night as it fell to Alabama 3-1, snapping Alabama’s three-game losing streak. Alabama has now won five-straight matchups against Georgia dating back to 2010.

“It was a tough game tonight,” Georgia head coach Billy Lesesne said.

Alabama (8-6-1, 3-4-1 SEC) got on the board early with a goal in the second minute off a corner kick. Georgia (4-10-1, 1-7) quickly answered back in the sixth minute as Caroline Waters scored her first goal of the season after connecting on a header.
Georgia was unable to find the back of the net the rest of the game.

“Alabama scored the early goal and it was nice to respond and tie things up,” Lesesne said. “Unfortunately, we gave up a penalty kick late in the first half and they won the battle of the boxes in the second half, where it really matters.”

Georgia had the chance to extend this lead with three corner kicks over the next three minutes but failed to put the ball in the back of the net each time.

Alabama’s leading goal scorer, Lacey Clarida, made Georgia pay after putting the ball in the back of the net off a penalty kick in the 36th minute, giving Alabama a 2-1 lead entering halftime.

Both teams continued to play physical until the 90th minute as both teams picked up 12 fouls. Georgia has now picked up 12 fouls in back-to-back games.
Alabama began the second half the same way they began the first half, coming out fast. Alabama quickly extended its lead 3-1 with a goal in the 52nd minute.

Standing at 1-7 in conference play, Georgia is now in jeopardy of finishing with its worst conference record in over 20 years. Since the 95-96 season, Georgia has never failed to win at least two SEC games a season.

“We fought hard, but we did not get the result we wanted,” Lesesne said.

Georgia begins its final home stretch Oct. 20 against Ole Miss and then again against Missouri on Oct. 23.

Here is a link to the original story: